The Boys

The Boys

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Believing What You Hear

I thought I would try my hand at actually using my English degree; however, you will find that I didn't actually take a writing class in college (unless you count the business writing class) to suffice my requirements...so the likely hood this goes beyond family interest is slim.  The real reason I wanted to start this blog was so I could share and update everyone on Colin and soon Hayden while trying to make it all work with two full-time working parents.  I think mostly though this blog is to help with the healing and most importantly the acceptance process.

My first post will share the details of Colin's diagnoses last week of having moderate to severe hearing loss. 

On Monday morning, Kyle and I took Colin to Children's Hospital in Parker to having what is called a double audiology test.  Which is in essence having two audiologist complete the screening (one doing the test with one in the booth trying to assist since Colin is so young).  Unfortunately, the results were not what we wanted.  Colin of course could care less he was having a blast at the doctor's office playing with dinosaurs and exploring.  I can't say that I took the news that well. It felt like my heart broke into a million pieces...everything that we had been hoping would not be true suddenly became our reality.  Colin will need to have hearing aids for both ears...oh did I forget to mention probably won't be covered by insurance...another topic for another blog.  However, they are optimistic that with hearing aids he will be able to make great progress towards speaking and communicating like a hearing person.  The audiologist also said Colin must be very bright...of course...due to the fact he is doing so well communicating despite his issues with his hearing.

We have another appointment this Wednesday and I am now armed with a list of questions.  I will post again with an update on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment